When a winemaker, 3 decades into his tenure, states that 2015 was “as perfect as it gets, particularly for Port,” you know you have something special on your hands. 

 

And indeed, 2015 was an incredibly fantastic year for vintage Port. The weather behaved itself throughout the year, and harvest was a dream. The result are two vintage Ports from Niepoort that will stand the test of time, but are fleshy and voluptuous enough to drink now too.

 

The name ‘Niepoort’ is exceptionally important in the Douro, being one of only a handful of independent, family run producers left. The company is headed by the formidable and inspiring Dirk Niepoort, 5th generation Port maker (the 6th generation is already making wine, primed to take his father’s place in the future). The art of Master Blender has also passed down through three generations. This is a truly independent, tight-knit affair.

 

40% of the grapes for this Port come from Niepoort’s own Pisca vineyard. The remaining 60% come from many different small parcels (as is the tradition in the Douro), all over 80 years old and some up to 100 years old.

 

The wines are aged over the first winter in Niepoort’s winery in the Douro, then shipped to Vila Nova de Gaia in Porto to spend the remainder of their time in large oak barrels, before being bottled in June 2017. As with all vintage Ports, the remainder of the ageing will be in bottle (currently standing at 2.5 years).

 

Although vintage Port is traditionally aged for many years before being drunk, the quality of the 2015 harvest means that, unusually, this is a Port that can be drunk now. This very moment. 

 

A silky wine with great structure and incredible balance. Dark forest fruit flavours, layered with floral and spice notes. Decant at least an hour before serving.

Niepoort Vintage 2015, Douro, Portugal

£64.95Price

    Opening hours during Covid-19:

    Tues: Thurs: 11am - 4pm

    Sun-Mon: CLOSED

    2020. Powered by booze

    Vino Vero

    110 Leigh Road, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex SS9 1BU | hello@vinovero.co.uk | 01702 808 251